You’ve been so good at keeping your contacts in your database but now it’s time to figure out just who you’ve got in there and perhaps do a little spring cleaning.
The best way to do that is to export them all out and work on them from a spreadsheet. But to get to a spreadsheet, you first have to export them as a .txt file.
Here’s what you do:
- Open Point.
- From the Menu bar, select Utilities > Cardex Database.
- From the Menu bar, select File > Export.
- In the Export Custom ASCII window, keep the default options.
- (The default settings will export the cardex as a comma delimited text file.) • Click Export.
- In the Export Cardex window, go to the Save in dropdown list and select Desktop.
- In the File name field, keep the filename as Pointcardex.txt and click Save. This exports the Cardex records to a file on the Desktop called Pointcardex.txt.
Then open Excel:
- From the menu bar, select File > Open.
- From the Open dialog, select All Files from the File Type dropdown list.
- Browse to the text file that you exported from Point and double-click on it.
- Excel will open the Import Wizard for you to import the file.
- From Step 1 of 3: Select Delimited and then click Next.
- From Step 2 of 3: Check the Comma check box and remove the check from the Tab check box.
- From Step 3 of 3: Click Next.
- Excel will display the Cardex records that you imported.
Need screen shots to help you through it? Knowledge Base article # 0771 has what you need.
You can also find answers for many of your Point questions on the Knowledge Base with a quick search or if your account is current, you may call our Support Team at 800-342-2599.