It’s Gluten-Free Baking Week!
This week, from the 16th through the 22nd, is considered Gluten-free Baking Week! For all of you with gluten sensitivity or other digestive issues, this post is for you!
I’ve heard the reducing gluten intake is good for everybody, but I’m not sure I’m willing to give up my wheat bread. I have noticed that there are some good recipes out there and I thought the week before Christmas would be a good time to share a couple of recipes for gluten-free holiday treats.
The first one is an obvious choice because you don’t have to search for flour alternatives…and who doesn’t love a meringue!
Chocolate Meringue Cookies
3 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla. Beat until the whites form soft peaks. Slowly add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form, and mixture becomes glossy. Fold in cocoa and chocolate chips.
- Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls on to a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
This next one seems way too easy! If you try it let me know how it goes!
Quick Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the peanut butter, sugar, egg, and baking soda until well blended. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool on cookie sheets until set, before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Enjoy the rest of your week! As a reminder, Calyx is going to be closed on December 24-25 and December 31-January 1.